7.30.2013

"Prayers for Rain" Dennis Lehane

A few weeks ago, I was in Chicago and had an afternoon all to myself.  This resulted in a visit to CBO, a few other shops, and of course the bookstore, where I picked up this book.  I hadn't read any of Lehane's books, but while this was violent & bit unbelievable, I still enjoyed it.  This passage is for the man who's love of Mustangs, I don't understand, but appreciate a little bit better now...

"I pulled the cover off the car and almost gasped.  The 1968 Shelby Mustang GT-500 is to American automobiles what Shakespeare is to literature and the Marx Brothers are to comedy- that is to say, everything that came before was, in retrospect, a teaser, and everything that came after could never live up to the standard of perfection achieved in one brief blink of time...'I'm sorry,' I told the engine."

No comments: